Guest post by Laura Adamonis, Robotics Coordinator
I looked through my LEGOⓇ collection and picked the minifigures and bricks that I wanted to use. I found a spot to set up my movie set. I went around the house and collected light fixtures. I tried using a green screen background but my green fabric was too dark so I had to use bright lights to make the green appear lighter to the camera. Two or three lights on either side help to avoid shadows and to make the figures look more three dimensional.
YouTube was a great resource for how-to videos! I made a stand for the tablet out of bricks — this is a good way to keep the tablet stabilized and help with the characters placement within the scene.
I used a couple of different software apps on my tablet and computer:
- Stop Motion app for tablet
- Microsoft Video Recorder
- Movavi Video Editor Plus (I did end up purchasing the plus so I can do future editing)
One of the tricks I picked up was to stack green 1×1 bricks to elevate the characters so that when I added a background photo, the characters would be standing on top of the tortoise statue.
Take your time. I did a lot of trial and error. I first wrote out the different scenes that I wanted to take pictures of. I did the movie scene part next and did the basic editing of the movie on the app. Once I saved and exported the movie to my computer I was able to start putting together all the parts of the movie. I opened the voice recorder and made audio clips to go along with the different sections of the movie. I wrote out my script so that when I hit record, I knew what I wanted to say. Another tip is that it was easier to cut the movie into sections and work on each section at a time. The editor software had music clips and transition effects that I was able to add. To make sure everything matched up, I did a lot of watching the movie over and over!
I made sure that I saved what I was working on numerous times throughout the process so that I wouldn’t lose anything. Creating a separate folder that can hold specific pictures and other items for the movie made it easy to access things quickly. I did have a couple of edits and updates that I had to do, so I set up a mini stage to film the last scene.